Friday 16 August 2013

Day 15 - the evolution of a painting

I spoke in an earlier post of taking progression photos of my art. I love to capture each stage and I love looking back to see how it all came to be. I love to see the way a painting evolves, changing with each layer, becoming more unique with each brush stroke, each splash of ink or paint, each wash of colour, each highlight and shadow. 

I particularly love this style of painting, which I learned from the amazing Tracy Verdugo, and I would recommend that if you ever have a chance to paint with Tracy you do it. 

I love the whole process. For me, these paintings are totally intuitive and, while I may have an idea of the colours I would like to use or if have inspiration from a photo I have taken, I still never know exactly what the finished painting will look like till the end. I don't have a recipe for mixing colours that I use. Most of the time they are mixed on the canvas as I use them.
This is a 1.5m x 0.6m painting that I have just finished this week for a dear friend.

the first layers
  some serious drippage
  
 

 The finished painting
All it needs is a few coats of varnish and it's ready to hang.

Namaste
Lee

1 comment:

Raine said...

Gorgeous!!!! What awesome colors and visual texture!

Related Posts with Thumbnails